MISS A. E. AWDRY (Old Girl, 1878-1883; Old Mistress, 1893-1921)

Sweep from your mind all buildings and grounds now in use except Fawcett House without the annexe and its garden, and then concentrate your ideas on about sixteen girls! but remember that, in spite of this, the name on the pillars at the gate was


Work began at seven-fifteen a.m. with a Scripture class in the “Prayer Room” – the small room on the left as you go to the dining-room-for the two highest classes, the First and Upper Second. Miss Andrews always took this class herself, and all her Old Girls will remember the sound of the silver chatelaine which heralded her coming along the passage. We were expected to learn at least two verses of Holy Scripture each day; and in this way many of us repeated all the Psalms by heart and some of the Gospels. Prayers followed at seven-forty-five, and on Tuesdays and

Thursdays Miss Andrews came in “with her things on” preparatory to going straight on to the Daily Celebration at St. Martin’s. During the short time before breakfast at eight we might look over any lessons prepared the day before. After breakfast we went upstairs to make our beds and tidy our chest of drawers-the latter a counsel of perfection seldom reached as far as I was concerned! From nine-nine-fifteen in the earlier days-we had Calis­thenics in the schoolroom with Mlle. Simonau, the daughter of the Belgian artist, whose photograph of the Cathedral still hangs, I believe, in the front hall of School House. Then we settled down to our regular morning’s work. Miss Andrews usually sat with her back to the window at the head of the long table nearest the door, teaching the upper forms, while Miss Frances Andrews and another mistress taught the lower forms at each end of a second long table parallel with the other. We had lunch at eleven, then another hour’s work till twelve-fifteen, when we went for a walk, talking French all day till six o’clock except when we were out of doors. Dinner was at one o’clock, and we did preparation from two till three, some of us lying on backboards on the floor. When we had learnt our lessons for the next day we were allowed to take books out of the library shelves, and in this way had the chance of reading a good deal beyond the lines of our own work. We had classes again from three till four, then bread and butter, followed by another walk, unless we played games in the garden. Our regular tea was at six o’clock, and after that we did needlework, mending, etc., while someone read to us.

Prayers were at seven-thirty, followed by more bread and butter or biscuits ; and then we went to bed, all lights having to be out by eight-thirty and silence kept after­wards.

On Saturday afternoons we went for long walks to Old Sarum, Clarendon, etc. Saints’ Days were half-holidays, and we were allowed to go into the town in the afternoon and buy sweets, those who had relations or friends living in Salisbury usually spending the afternoon and evening with them. We took the Oxford and Cambridge Local Examinations and also those of the College of Preceptors. The Local Secretary, dear Miss Maria Fawcett, was always on the watch to help us in every possible way, and used to give us a specially good time at the Oxford Examination in the summer term, taking us to the Palace garden and other interesting places every evening. Archdeacon Car­penter was our first Examiner in music, soon after he came to Salisbury. He gave me an “Invention” by Bach to read, which I should have begun with my left hand, but owing to my agitation I did not do so, and had to make a bad join halfway through the first line!

On Sundays we went to St. Martin’s for early Service and Matins, and to the Cathedral in the afternoon, having first said the Catechism from two till two-fifteen. Mr. Mangin was rector of St. Martin’s in 1878, and was succeeded by Mr. Wyld. Even then a very thin young man of the name of Sanger, afterwards sexton for many years, was a very noticeable personality. We had an hour’s lesson in Scripture and Church doctrine every week from the Rector or one of his curates, generally on Friday after­noons, and they also prepared us for Confirmation.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s